Wednesday, July 28, 2010

It’s An Inside Job……

image

No…that’s not my quilt up above but isn’t it pretty? Typical Maine scene someone who knew what the heck they were doing created. Me?…I really just shoot from the hip…on a wing and a prayer!  I know I have been doing a lot of whining about the heat. So I thought I would show you what I have been doing inside, while trying to avoid that heat. Last Christmas, i made two lap blankets. One for my wonderful friend and mother in law Alice, and one for my terrific father in law Woody! He actually posted photos of them a few posts ago. I made them from scraps I got at a yard sale. The material all came from L.L. Bean. A woman worked there and ended up with a huge amount of sample material. I was lucky enough to get several large boxes of it from her. I have done so many crafts with that material, I can’t even begin to tell you.

After seeing the lap blankets I made for A & W last Christmas, my husband Bob told me he would like one. So I started making him one. I don’t have a lot of masculine looking material left. He really likes red…of course…he’s an Aries and don’t laugh because I have never quilted and it’s all done by hand. This is the front. Just pieces cut this way and that and sewn together any which way! No pattern or method to my madness really.DSC04838 God I hate this font. Hold on…..I’m back!… and let’s see if this font is not so crowded as the last one…so far not so good i guess. This Lap Blanket is much longer. I was going for 5 feet but got carried away. Bobbie is at least 5’9” and he is hidden behind there! Oh well…he doesn’t mind. Here is another shot……

DSC04839

Another font change! Sorry. That black piece in the upper right is suede. I ran out of material big enough and thought he would like the feel of it. The back side of that is very furry and warm. See his white sneakers below? I am glad I did not see his face behind there because i made him stand there for a bit…my camera was screwing up!DSC04840 Alice tells me it looks like the colors from the family crest. Bobbie is Scottish. Why do you think I call him Bobbie McGeek?? He’s also Irish and French and I forget what else? Alice would know! She is a master genealogist! 

DSC04841That’s the front. It’s wrinkled, needs to be pressed, and stitches need tightening up. Now I will purchase a coordinating piece of soft fabric to sew onto the back as well as a satin blanket border. With Alice and Woody’s, I stenciled the first letter of each of their names onto a piece of fabric and sewed it on with a blanket stitch using embroidery thread.image That is Woody’s, above, and here is Alice’s… image Bobbie’s will get a big B and that would stand for his nickname Bobbie or for his last name Bean! How about that? So….that’s what I have been doing while watching movies, and watching my husband play Modern Warfare on the Xbox! The computer business has picked up as well. This is historically a very slow time of year for us. Can you guess why? Yup…..THE HEAT is keeping folks inside more…..but I can’t complain about that now can I?? Not one bit. What are you all doing to stay cool??airconditioning

 

 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! You've been a busy girl! Super!

Dawn said...

Those are really sweet, Debbie. They will be very warm on those cold winter nights.
My garden seems to be dying this year, I think we disturbed to much soil. *sigh*

R. J. said...

Quilts are so wonderful and you did a super job. I learned to quilt as a teenager when my mom went to the local ladies quilting club. I haven't done any since, but I took out a book last week that is probably 45 years old and has yellow pages. I am contemplating quilting for colder weather when I am shut indoors. Do you machine or hand quilt the stitches after adding the cotton batting and backing?

Anonymous said...

... Bravo, much-loved-daughter-in-law! Excellent work and all by hand. I admire your work and, trust me, your lap-blankets serve very well on cold, windy nights ... Oh, so warm and comfy! And, I love your color combinations. Well done, my dearest friend. As for the oppresive heat and mugginess, I can't wait til Autumn! We love that all-too-short season. My deck plants, they'll love becoming Mums this year as the weather has not been kind to them ... the soil had too much opportunity to dry out too quickly however, my potted green bush bean are doing their best as are the hanging tomatoes but not what they should be doing. I'll know better what to do next year as I'll take into account this year's effects and will also have done more research and homework on deck plants, etc. Morning Glorys just about gone. Green peppers gone! Flowers need some super boost to stay alive... Okay, live and learn, right? Last I saw your garden, it was lush and healthy. Whatever you're doing I must learn from it. Have a good day - yeah, right. When is Autumn? That far away? Much love, GeeGee

Lori said...

I love your quilts! So nice and warm and comfy on a cold winters night. I was just saying that I am ready for fall cause I am sick of the humidity and heat, although I am sure it's not as bad as many places. I am hot all of time and wish to just sit and do nothing but that sure isn't going to happen...lol...oh well, it could be worse. Hope you and yours have a nice weekend. :)

Kathleen said...

Well, I am finally back and trying to catch up. Your garden is doing fabulous. I can't believe how much it grew, in such a short time. While on vacation I was thinking of all my friends in the humid hot spots around Maine. I was right on the water, and let me tell you those sea breezes were wonderful and cool. Today is very comfortable, and I am indeeed grateful...oh how I hate those high dewpoints. Love those lap blankets...I am actually ready for fall....it can come at any moment, I will be happy. That's the way it is with us New Englanders.....after about 2 months of any season, we are ready for the next. Makes you feel bad for folks in Fl, Ca, AZ and such. How is your foot? I am doing pretty well with my left hip and leg. Thinking of you, Hugs, Kathleen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...