Saturday, March 7, 2009

Lemon Square Gems

   I was at a banquet recently and one of the ladies there named Merle brought this wonderful dessert! It was to die for. I watched her cut it ever so carefully into squares in the kitchen. When you see someone handle food like it is a tray of museum quality, rare gems, you know it is probably going to be good, and it was. After a while, I made my way to the dessert table, weaving my way through 150 people, determined to get one of those gems before they were gone. It was everything I had hoped it would be and more…my kind of dessert….rich crust on the bottom….a cream cheese mix center and the pudding/whipped cream top…I was in heaven….especially since I am on a diet! The next time I saw Merle, I mentioned that I would like the recipe. “Oh….are you talking about the Lemon Square Gems?” …she says with an enamored breath….dragging out the words. Yes! So…the other day, her husband asked me if I got my recipe in my husbands email? Nope….haven’t seen it? I mention it to my husband….he doesn’t think so? So….we search the deleted files and usually they all get deleted but this time there must be 75 there. He knows how to narrow that down…..He’s the Computer Mechanic after all! We find what we think might be it…..the subject says RECEIPT……what are the odds it might be RECIPE?…..yup…..that was it…her husband spelled it wrong. My husband gets a lot of emails and he thought it was just another junk mail or forward. I thought I would share the recipe with you…..they really ARE called LEMON SQUARE GEMS: Enjoy……and let me know what you think?

First Layer:

1 cup flour

1/2 cup softened butter

3/4 cup finely chopped nuts

Mix first 2 ingredients together and stir in nuts. Press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2 in. pan. Bake at 350 for 15 min. Let cool.

Second Layer:

1 pkg. 8 oz. cream cheese softened

1 cup confectioners sugar

1 cup frozen whipped cream

Blend sugar & cream cheese, fold in whipped cream, spread over cooled crust.

Third Layer:

2 pkgs. Instant lemon pudding

2 1/2 cups of milk

1. – 9 ounce container of cool whip minus 1 cup

Beat pudding mix and milk until thick & creamy, spread over layers, top with cool whip, cover and refrigerate.  Cut into squares.

Make sure you hide a couple of squares for  yourself somewhere….you’ll regret it if you don’t!

Enjoy!!

HIbera

2 comments:

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

Sounds delicious and will probably add a couple of inches round my already big waiste :-)
Christer.

Anonymous said...

OMG! My mouth is salivating over your realistic, in my face, description of the lemon Square Gems! This IS to die for!

Good writing, Debbie ... Love, GeeGee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...