Wednesday, September 8, 2010

September is finally here……

image The cooler weather is finally here and the trees here in New England will soon look like the above picture. This is by far, my favorite time of the year. Let me tell you what I love about the fall……

1. You can spend an entire day outside and not get overheated or bitten by bugs.

2. The cool fresh air is invigorating and getting outside chores done is a pleasure!

3. The trees are beginning to turn. What a gorgeous site to look at!

I guess that’s enough for me! I am so looking forward to my favorite season!! Of course with the fall season comes my favorite holidays too! Halloweenimage …..then Thanksgivingimage …..then my favorite one of all….Christmas!!!!!!!image My birthday falls just 5 days after Christmasimage and then of course there is New Yearsimage …..so it’s just one big long holiday season! It’s incredible. Who wouldn’t love it???

   This last Saturday we had a  gathering of family here. My kids were here and helped clean out the rest of my garden. The only thing left now are sunflowers, corn, and tomatoes. We dug up my beets and carrots and there were NO carrots to speak of. I let them go to the weeds. That won’t happen next year. There were some beets and the kids took them home, along with pumpkins, gourds, corn, butternut squash, cukes and sunflowers. We had quite a harvest. I didn’t get any pictures! Can you believe it? We had a wonderful meal. I made a creamy pasta salad that I just love! I got the recipe from a blog I follow called Deep South Dish and my oh my do they have wonderful recipes!! I also got my southern ice tea recipe from them. I added some frozen strawberries (thawed) and lemons sliced to it. It was fabulous. I also made a lasagna and an appetizer I got from another blog. They were stuffed jalapenos from OctoberFarm. Everyone devoured those right up! Joyce has some amazing recipes on her blog!! That woman is always cooking….good lord! Check her out! It was my father in law Woody’s birthday the day before so I made him an Arizona Angel food cake. It tastes good and it’s pretty. Sometime I will post the recipe. My mother in law Alice brought a ham sliced and Woody made a chili. My brother in law Joe brought breaded chicken covered with sauce and melted cheese….kind of a chicken parmesan…..it was great! He also made his famous homemade salsa and garlic hummus. My kids purchased cheese’s and crackers and homemade pickles and such to add to the goods. We also had some of my sour pickles I had made a while back. I will post the recipe for those too…..real simple….no canning! So….a great time was had by all and fall is just about here. Next post I promise will have pictures!! Please remember to keep our friend Dawn in your prayers from C & G Design. She is on the mend. :):):)

 image

 

 

 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You are scaring me....talking about Christmas and New Years already! stop that!

Lori said...

Yes I love this new season for all the same reasons. Your fall gathering sounds wonderful and the mention of the various food eaten has made my stomach grown. :) So often I get caught up in the moment of what is happening that I totally forget to take pictures. :)

I am not a big holiday person but I sure smiled as I read this. :)

Anonymous said...

... What a wonderful blog! Great writing and great photos! You are such a blessing, Debbie! God's given you the gifts of love for nature, love of people, love of giving to others, love of cooking and sharing, love of sweet unigueness in folks, love of the talents of each individual, love of victorian ways and styles, love of life! You're an especially good woman, cherished daughter-in-law. i am blessed to have you in my family and life ... AliceMary ...

Nancy said...

Hey there, Debbie. Although I have never met Dawn, she has helped me keep my sanity in check while living in Vermont these past four years. What can we do to send some love? You can email me via my blog.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

hehe...thanks for the shout out! i think it is time for me to pull out the last things in my garden too. my tomatoes are no longer turning red. time for fried green tomatoes. i also follow deep south dish. she has some great recipes. i am so excited that fall is here and i am savoring each day because they fly by so fast. summer seems to drag on forever and then this time of year starts and the next thing you know you are looking at spring again!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

the blog tech did do the redo on my blog. if it wasn't for him i would be in big trouble. have fun decorating. it is almost time for me to get my corn stalks and hay bales!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

This time of year is wonderful isn't it! Just wish that cooler air would hurry up and get down south! We're still in the 90s, but much lower humidity so it's kind of "cool" for us LOL!! My favorite time of the years is around the holidays too - and if you live down here, that continues right through to Mardi Gras! Course, there's always a party down here. :)

Thanks so much for visiting me, and for the mention - I'm so glad that you enjoyed the pasta salad. I just posted a new one today! I'm going to check out the other blog you mentioned too.

Hope to see you again!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...